Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. At least, 15 persons were reportedly killed, while 18 others sustained injuries in a fresh bomb blast in Konduga, Borno state, on Friday.
It was gathered that the bomb blast was launched by three suicide bombers at a market in Konduga, Borno State.
2. Balarabe Musa, former Governor of Kaduna State, has lambasted former presidents, Ibrahim babangida and Olusegun Obasanjo over their separate statements calling on President Muhammadu Buhari not to seek re-election in 2019.
The former Kaduna State governor, who described statements by both ex-leaders as ‘stupid,’ stressed that ‘nobody should be deceived’ because both leaders never performed better than Buhari when they were in power.
3. The All Progressives Congress (APC) Kaduna chapter has suspended the senator representing Kaduna North senatorial district in the National Assembly.
Senator Suleiman Hunkuyi was suspended for six months over alleged anti-party activities, alongside a former interim Chairman of Kaduna South Local Government Area, Yahaya Shinko, and 27 other members.
4. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said he would commit suicide if Nigeria loses hope.
Obasanjo noted that because he is optimistic that Nigeria has great hope, he would continue to talk and point out things going wrong.
5. President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday condemned the killing of 41 persons in a fresh attack in Birane village, Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
A statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the President, Garba Shehu, Buhari directed the Minister of Defence, Brigadier-General Mansur Dan Ali (Rtd) to proceed immediately to the state to bring the situation to normalcy.
6. Femi Fani-Kayode, former Aviation Minister has said President Muhammadu Buhari and governors on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, APC, are behaving like “ritualits.”
Fani-Kayode said Buhari should have visited the state following the massacre of 41 people by Fulani herdsmen and not hold meeting in Daura to discuss 2019.
7. Governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress on Friday said their mission to Daura, Katsina State, was merely to condole with President Muhammadu Buhari over the loss of two members of his extended family.
The Governors also said they used the opportunity to commend the President for appointing Asiwaju Bola Tinubu as APC Chief Mediator.
8. The management of Benue State University, BSU, Makurdi has ordered the security to shut down the institution.
The order came following the protest that broke out on Friday by students, who were not allowed access to the school premises over unpaid school fees.
9. Following the forced resignation of Jacob Zuma as the President of South Africa, owing to corruption allegations, the Imo State government says the statue it erected in honour of the embattled ex-President will not be pulled down.
The governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Sam Onwuemeudo, said Zuma rose from a low background to play a major role in the freedom of the people of South Africa.
10. The Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige has said that President Muhammadu Buhari deserves re-election in 2019 because of his achievements.
Senator Ngige said the President has been successful in the three promises he made in the manifesto of the All Progressives Congress, APC, and that his re-election would help to consolidate on the achievements.